Welcome to our section on Real Women – where we bring you stories of and conversations with real women who inspire us, who have changed lives and given back to the community. Today, we are with Suman Mishra, Senior Vice-President (Group Strategy) at Mahindra & Mahindra, India’s leading multinational vehicle manufacturing corporation. We sit down with her to talk about work, life in lockdown and things that bring her joy.
1. We know Suman Mishra is a powerhouse at Mahindra and Mahindra. What is it that people don’t know about you?
I am a pretty grounded person who loves work. I am also a mother of one, passionate about yoga and seek balance in everything that I do.
2. Why are you doing what you’re doing, at Mahindra & Mahindra?
As VP, I am responsible for strategy implementation and participate in various investments, divestments, strategy formulation and deployment etc.
3. A few qualities you look for when hiring someone
I look for progress in a person’s current role and longevity (not too many career jumps before proving yourself) and of course, a bit of pedigree. During interviews, my biggest criteria is judging a person for fitment with culture.
4. Things that make you smile
This is a very long list since I like to smile most of the time! But otherwise, it’s the following:
– My kid
– A good yoga practice
– A good book
– Good coffee
– A lockdown favourite has been reconnecting with old friends globally
5. What are your 5 wardrobe staples? And what’s your go-to styling mantra?
My staples are:
– Black trousers and FS tops with small embellishments/details. I prefer dark colours and avoid flamboyant/informal patterns.
– Dresses with some embellishments not too much. I prefer simple shift dresses in single colours.
– Suits and trousers for formal occasions
– I like to dress up with some nice jewellery, like pearls, stones and a long necklace & matching earrings
– I don’t often carry a purse to work since I love my Tumi orange backpack but I have my own red Burberry wallet which I like
6. What do you indulge in when you’re not working?
My biggest indulgence is doing yoga workshops with some great teachers. Luckily, this has improved with lockdown, as all the global greats are now doing sessions online!
Another thing which I miss in this lockdown is my time with my family at Starbucks. Nothing fancy, just some good coffee and conversation with my hubby and kid.
7. Anything you would like to add?
I love FableStreet and it has become a real rescue for me. When I moved from the US to India, I always struggled to find appropriate workwear which is not too informal but also high-quality. FS has helped me meet this need and I can say (a bit embarrassingly) that I own maybe 50+ FS pieces!
This section is about and for real women. So, if you know any such fierce leader, entrepreneur or businesswoman – do share her story with us. We would love to extend her our support. Send us an email or a note on Instagram / Facebook.
All images used are the sole property of Suman Mishra and cannot be used without the prior permission from the entrepreneur.